RMC Alumni

101 Major John Laing Weller

1862 -1932

Born in Cobourg, Ont., John Laing Weller enrolled at RMC in February 1880, with 33 others, graduating fourth overall in 1883, and receiving a First Class Certificate in Engineering.

Excelling in sports at College and later during his army career, John won many honours. He won the obstacle race, and was College rifle champion in 2nd year. Later with the Dominion Rifle Association, he won the Thorburn Prize and Sir Donald Smith Cup and was on the Bisley Rifle Shooting Prize Lists and Canada’s Kolapore Team to Britain. He was the first winner of the Admiralty Trophy with the American Canoe Association in 1884, and at age 58, runner up to an Olympic gold medalist for the Canadian Senior Golf Championship in 1920.

John Weller’s military career spanned four and a half decades. As a young engineer, he was first assigned to survey for locks on the Trent Valley River system (1883), and the Murray Canal, near Brighton, ON (1884), which launched his lifetime career in canal engineering. With the 57th (Midland) Battalion during the Northwest Rebellion in 1885, he served as Staff Adjutant to Major-General J.W. Laurie.

He was promoted to Assistant Engineer for the Cornwall Canal enlargement in 1887 and became Resident Engineer in 1892. He joined the 59th Stormont and Glengarry Battalion of Infantry in Cornwall and was promoted Major in 1897. In 1900 he was assigned to the Port Colborne Harbour Improvement, and later that year to Superintending Engineer of the Third Welland Canal.

His greatest achievement was his role as Engineer-in-Charge of the planning, surveying and construction of the 4th Welland Ship Canal between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie from 1912 to 1932. To circumvent the natural wonder of Niagara Falls, a man-made wonder was required. The Welland Canal continues to act as the western section of the St. Lawrence Seaway (opened in 1959), the deep waterway that allows large Great Lakes cargo ships and ocean vessels to navigate between the heart of North America and the Atlantic Ocean. The canal ranks as one of the outstanding world engineering feats of the twentieth century.

Beginning in 1824, earlier canal routes wound their way across the Peninsula and up the Niagara Escarpment following natural water routes because technology was not available to survey and build a straight alignment for the 99.5 m (326.5 ft) elevation difference. Under Weller’s leadership, an entirely new concept in canal building was shown to the rest of the world. At the time, the 4th Welland Ship Canal was the largest individual engineering works carried out in Canada and one of the largest in the world. Although patterned after the Panama Canal, the lift achieved is higher over a much shorter distance.

Weller cut a straight path over the Escarpment, creating a more efficient and direct route. Weller incorporated reinforced concrete in his design, a concept he had employed earlier in building the world’s tallest reinforced concrete poles to carry electric transmission lines over the 2nd Welland canal.

Weller initiated the use of massive machinery to support and operate his massive construction. Where the 3rd Welland canal had incorporated 26 stone locks, Weller reduced the Welland Ship Canal to 8 immense locks to accommodate large modern shipping in a 2-way system. The control lock at Lake Erie was the longest in the world at 1148 feet. The canal is 43.4 km (27 mi) long and its locks, which provide an average lift of 14.2 m (46.5 ft), are 233.5 m (766 ft) long and 24.4 m (80 ft) wide.

Port Weller, ON, was named in John Weller’s honour. Two Weller Islands may be found in Georgian Bay. The Concrete Pole Company was founded in 1905 by John Weller and W.H. Sullivan. Concrete Pipe and Products Limited was founded by John Weller for the manufacture of concrete pipe, concrete block, and other concrete products. He served on the Council of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE) from 1915-1917. In 1932, the year the Welland Ship Canal opened and the year he died, Weller was named a Life Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada.

John’s only son, 748 William Henry Weller, graduated from RMC in 1909 and joined the Royal Flying Corps.

The above biography was originally published on the RMC website, available here.

Plaque inscription:

Athlete, canal builder, Welland Ship Canal engineer-in-charge

John-Laing-Weller-wall-of-honour

1862 -1932

Né à Cobourg, ON, John Weller est entré au RMC en février 1880 avec 33 autres, et a obtenu un certificat de première classe en génie en 1883, finissant quatrième de sa promotion.

Excellant en sport au Collège et plus tard durant sa carrière militaire, John a obtenu plusieurs distinctions honorifiques. Il a gagné la course à obstacles et a été le champion du Collège au tir à la carabine en deuxième année. Plus tard, avec la Dominion Rifle Association, il a gagné le prix Thorburn et la coupe Sir Donald Smith et a été sur la liste des prix au tir à Bisley et membre de l’équipe canadienne à Kolapore en Grande-Bretagne. Il a été le premier gagnant du Admiralty Trophy de l’American Canoe Association en 1884, et en 1920, à l’âge de 58 ans, le second au championnat de golf sénior canadien, derrière un médaillé d’or olympique.

La carrière militaire de John Weller s’est étendue sur quelque 45 ans. Comme jeune ingénieur, il a d’abord été affecté à faire des relevés pour des écluses sur le système de la rivière de la vallée Trent (1883) et le canal Murray près de Brighton, ON (1884), ce qui marqua le début de sa carrière d’ingénierie de canal. Avec le 57th (Midland) Battalion durant la Rébellion du Nord-Ouest en 1885, il a servi comme Staff Adjutant au major-général J.W. Laurie.

Il a été promu assistant ingénieur pour l’agrandissement du canal de Cornwall en 1887 et est devenu ingénieur résident en 1892. Il s’est joint au 59th Stormont and Glengarry Battalion of Infantry à Cornwall et a été promu major en 1897. En 1900 il a été assigné au Port Colborne Harbour Improvement, et plus tard la même année au poste d’ingénieur-surveillant du troisième canal Welland.

Sa plus grande réalisation a été son rôle comme ingénieur-chef de la planification, des relevés et de la construction du canal Welland entre le lac Ontario et le lac Érié, de 1912 à 1932. Pour contourner la merveille naturelle des chutes Niagara, il fallait une merveille humaine. Le canal Welland constitue toujours la section Ouest de la Voie maritime du Saint-Laurent (ouverte en 1959), la voie navigable profonde qui permet à de gros navires de charge des Grands Lacs et des navires transocéaniques de naviguer entre le coeur de l’Amérique du Nord et l’océan Atlantique. Le canal est classé comme un des exploits de l’ingénierie mondiale du vingtième siècle.

À partir de 1824, les premiers parcours de canal ont trouvé leur chemin à travers la péninsule et vers le haut de l’escarpement de Niagara en suivant le cours naturel des eaux parce que la technologie n’était pas disponible pour faire des relevés et construire en ligne droite pour la dénivellation de 99,5 mètres (326,5 pieds). Sous le leadership de Weller, le reste du monde a vu un concept entièrement nouveau de construction de canal. À l’époque, le 4e canal Welland était le plus grand ouvrage de travaux publics effectué au Canada et un des plus grands au monde. Bien que modelé sur le canal de Panama, la montée atteinte est plus haute sur une distance beaucoup plus courte.

Weller a tracé un chemin droit pour traverser l’escarpement, créant une route directe et plus efficace. Il a incorporé le béton armé dans ses plans, un concept qu’il avait utilisé auparavant pour bâtir les plus hauts poteaux de béton armé au monde pour porter des lignes de transmission électrique au-dessus du deuxième canal Welland.

Weller a instauré l’usage de machinerie massive pour épauler et exploiter sa construction massive. Alors que le troisième canal Welland comprenait 26 écluses en pierre, Weller a réduit le quatrième canal Welland à huit immenses écluses pour accommoder les gros navires modernes dans un système à deux directions. L’écluse de contrôle au lac Érié était la plus longue au monde à 350 m (1148 pieds). Le canal a une longueur de 43,4 km (27 milles), et ses écluses, qui fournissent une levée moyenne de 14,2 m (46,5 pieds), ont une longueur de 233,5 m (766 pieds) et une largeur de 24,4 m (80 pieds).

Port Weller, ON, a été nommé en l’honneur de John Weller. On trouve deux îles Weller dans la baie Georgienne. John Weller et W.H. Sullivan ont fondé la Concrete Pole Company en 1905. John Weller a fondé la Concrete Pipe and Products Limited pour la fabrication de tuyaux de béton, de blocs de béton et d’autres produits en béton. Il a siégé au conseil de la Société canadienne d’ingénieurs civils de 1915 à 1917. En 1932, l’année d’ouverture du canal Welland et l’année de sa mort, Weller a été nommé membre à vie de l’Institut canadien des ingénieurs.

Le fils unique de John, 748 William Henry Weller, a obtenu son diplôme du RMC en 1909 et s’est joint au Royal Flying Corps.

Inscription sur plaque :

Athlète, constructeur de canal, ingénieur en charge du canal Welland

0 Responses on 101 Major John Laing Weller"

Leave a Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RMC Alumni © Powered by RMC Club of Canada. All rights reserved.